[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Archaeologica.org • View topic - Anyone have any comments on Hawass' lost pyramid?

Anyone have any comments on Hawass' lost pyramid?

The Old World is a reference to those parts of Earth known to Europeans before the voyages of Christopher Columbus; it includes Europe, Asia and Africa.

Moderators: Minimalist, MichelleH

Anyone have any comments on Hawass' lost pyramid?

Postby Minimalist » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:34 pm

Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Postby rich » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:49 am

i'm not lookin' for who or what made the earth - just who got me dizzy by makin it spin
rich

Postby Ishtar » Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:54 am

I haven't had time to get it to yet. Hope to this weekend but also have to keep half an eye on prolific telly and online coverage of Glastonbury festival as I'm hoping for a glimpse of my four-year-old grand daughter jiggling up and down on her Dad's shoulders to some band or another - she's such a groover! [here's where we need a proud beaming grandmother smilie!] :D
Ishtar of and the .
Ishtar

Hawass

Postby Cognito » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:59 am

Natural selection favors the paranoid
Cognito

Postby Minimalist » Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:10 am

Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Postby Ishtar » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:06 am

I'm halfway through the second half and I can't be bothered to waste any more time on it, especially now you've told me the 'great reveal' - the Romans dunnit, with one wooden mallet!

Like you Cogs, I snorted at their theory about how Khufu must be the sphinx because Khufu didn't have a beard and neither did the Sphinx. Brilliant deduction going on here!

And yes, Min, I too said 'earthquake' as soon as I saw the ruins.

But I must say, it was great to see, for instance, the Necropolis. I would have been quite happy if they'd just put a camera down in the middle of that and programmed it to turn on a 360 degree circle over 24 hours, with optional zooming. I would have been like a pig in shit! :lol:

But I'm coming to realise that the pyramids were not just tombs - and not just because of what we know about Neolithic burial customs.

The very word, pyramids, has 'pyr' at this root, as does pyromaniac or pyrotechnic. So it's to do with fire. My recent research and growing understanding about how the horse sacrfice developed, as a means of preventing the end of the world, is leading me to think that the pyramid was a structural metaphor for a volcano. And possibly with a previous extinction event still in the forefront of their minds, the Egyptian maithuna was a sacrificial ritual that took place in the highest part of the pyramid, under the cap made of silver, gold and bronze. The maithuna is a later (circa 3,000 BC) development of the horse sacrifice, which is as old as dirt, and it was where the king has sex with a sacred prostitute as a means of placating the sun god (Ra or Re in Egyptian) as they regarded a volcanic explosion, because of the resulting fireball, as his doing - or that of his female consort, the Eye of Hathor.
Ishtar of and the .
Ishtar

Postby Minimalist » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:46 am

The technology is what interests me most, Ish. I was speechless at their "demonstration" of two guys cutting granite with a toothless copper saw and sand. BTW, note that they didn't actually show them making any progress they merely asserted that eventually they would cut through the granite.

Perhaps that is true...steady erosion can whittle away mountains....but what does it do to the construction schedule of the project? Each block would need 6 cuts ( 4 sides, top and bottom.) Don't tell me that you are going to smooth such a block with copper chisels....they would bounce off.

Even quarrying granite out of the ground the first time would seem to be a daunting task. True, you can break off large slabs but then you have to be hopeful that they don't break into pieces that are too small to be used. And, if the slabs are too large you have to cut them down anyway just so you can move them.

The entire technological aspect of building a pyramid using the methods which the Egyptology Club claims they had available reminds me of the old adage:

Everything is easy for the man who doesn't have to do it himself.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Postby rich » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:52 am

i'm not lookin' for who or what made the earth - just who got me dizzy by makin it spin
rich

Postby rich » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:54 am

rich

Postby Minimalist » Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:36 am

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Postby Ishtar » Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:38 am

Ishtar of and the .
Ishtar

Postby Minimalist » Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:44 am

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Postby Ishtar » Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:46 am

Ishtar of and the .
Ishtar

Postby rich » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:00 pm

rich

Postby Digit » Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:20 pm

Digit

Next

Return to Old World