Throwing Things : HS Did; HN Didn't

The Old World is a reference to those parts of Earth known to Europeans before the voyages of Christopher Columbus; it includes Europe, Asia and Africa.

Moderators: Minimalist, MichelleH

uniface

Re: Throwing Things : HS Did; HN Didn't

Post by uniface » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:19 am

Looks like I'm a Usual Suspect :shock:

Is that better or worse than an Unusual one ? :lol:

True enough, SS. But divorced from context, like everything else that is, it creates a deceptive impression.

No matter which side is face-up at the time, tails and heads are present together. Can't be any other way than that. One side is the behavior pattern you've remarked on. But the other side is that this is a response provoked by something. Without evaluating the provocation, the response, in isolation, can be presented as anything you want it to be. And pretty plausibly. Context is the difference between self defence and homicide in a nutshell.

Sam Salmon

Post by Sam Salmon » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:42 am

check your PMs

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:45 pm

Sam Salmon wrote:This thread is another Classic case here of the usual suspects pissing all over something then patting each other on the back for being so perceptive and thinking correctly.

If that isn't the textbook definition of a Club I don't know what is.

I just don't buy the premise, Sam. Hunting, like war, is hours of boredom followed by seconds of action. They wouldn't be standing there throwing spears all day. As Dig says, how much practice would you need to hit a mammoth? The trick to be mastered is to get close enough to make the throw successful.

We know that people who do heavy labor see that fact reflected in their skeletons as opposed to office workers. But they are doing it constantly for years on end. That's where the HSS/HNS thing breaks down. There is an assumption that HSS was constantly throwing things.

Then there is the whole question of the atlatl which changes the throwing motion.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin

dannan14

Post by dannan14 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:36 pm

i think alot of practice is necessary. Both with and without a spear thrower. Even if it weren't doesnt' it seem likely that skills would be honed through competition? i don't think it is likely that the Greeks were the first to invent competitions that used everyday skills.

uniface

Post by uniface » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:29 pm

Min : The degree of attention hunting (and being good at it) requires far exceeds that of most jobs today. Not only must you be alert to everything in the moment, for hours on end, but you must have accumulated thousands of observations about the habits and tendencies of your quarry -- including time of day, season and weather conditions. Stumbling around and managing to shoot something you've startled with a gun is hardly comparable to hunting with a primitive bow, and even less to using an atlatl.

Warriors in the field who find themselves bored tend to be the ones who find themselves dead.

Sam : :lol: :D