Intact sarcophagus of Queen Behenu ± 4,000 BP

The Old World is a reference to those parts of Earth known to Europeans before the voyages of Christopher Columbus; it includes Europe, Asia and Africa.

Moderators: Minimalist, MichelleH

Rokcet Scientist

Intact sarcophagus of Queen Behenu ± 4,000 BP

Post by Rokcet Scientist » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:29 pm

Egyptian tomb discovered with 'spells helping travel to afterlife'

Archaeologists have unearthed the intact sarcophagus of Egypt's Queen Behenu inside her 4,000-year-old burial chamber.

Published: 12:01AM GMT 04 Mar 2010

The tomb was discovered near her pyramid in Saqqara, 20 miles south of Cairo, chief archaeologist Zahi Hawass announced.
The Old Kingdom queen's chamber was badly damaged except for two inner walls covered with spells meant to help her travel to the afterlife, he said in a statement. [...]
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... rlife.html

I'll be interested in the contents of that sarcophagus, and the state of the mummy that is suggested to still be in there. And what it may reveal after careful measurement, scanning, and analysis.
But that'll probably be a few years, I fear.

circumspice

Re: Intact sarcophagus of Queen Behenu ± 4,000 BP

Post by circumspice » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:05 pm

http://news.discovery.com/archaeology/a ... vered.html

Although the mummy of the queen was destroyed and little remains of the burial, the team found two inner walls which contain hieroglyphics engraved on white stone known as the "Pyramid Texts."
"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope

Rokcet Scientist

Post by Rokcet Scientist » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:42 pm

How can a mummy be destroyed while the sarcophagus was described as found "intact"?

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:03 pm

More to the point.....

What about this line?
The tomb was discovered near her pyramid in Saqqara, 20 miles south of Cairo, chief archaeologist Zahi Hawass announced.
"Near" the pyramid? Not in it?
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin

Rokcet Scientist

Post by Rokcet Scientist » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:37 pm

Strange story.

Sam Salmon

Post by Sam Salmon » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:13 pm

Rokcet Scientist wrote:Strange story.
Maybe something was lost in translation?

circumspice

Post by circumspice » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:09 pm

Rokcet Scientist wrote:How can a mummy be destroyed while the sarcophagus was described as found "intact"?
I suspect that they are infering that the sarcophagus was undamaged. Oftentimes, sarcophagi are opened and the contents are removed without damage to the sarcophagus itself.

*edit: awkward wording
"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope

Rokcet Scientist

Post by Rokcet Scientist » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:49 pm

circumspice wrote:
Rokcet Scientist wrote:How can a mummy be destroyed while the sarcophagus was described as found "intact"?
I suspect that they are infering that the sarcophagus was undamaged. Oftentimes, sarcophagi are opened and the contents are removed without damage to the sarcophagus itself.

"Awkward" is a euphemism, it is plain wrong! "Intact" to me means that it has not been touched/opened since it was closed (at, or even before the burial), and definitely means that everything that was in there in the first place is still in there, undisturbed.

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:44 pm

Yeah but we don't know what the author meant by "intact." He may simply have meant "undamaged."
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin

Rokcet Scientist

Post by Rokcet Scientist » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:38 pm

Yeah, and then there are the other 'loose ends', like finding that sarcophagus near but not in her pyramid. As if it almost, but ultimately never quite made it there...
Which might go some way to explain how it was empty.

We'll simply have to wait for a better write-up.

circumspice

Post by circumspice » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:00 pm

Rokcet Scientist wrote:
circumspice wrote:

"Awkward" is a euphemism, it is plain wrong! "Intact" to me means that it has not been touched/opened since it was closed (at, or even before the burial), and definitely means that everything that was in there in the first place is still in there, undisturbed.
Ahem... I was stating that my wording was awkward, not the article's wording. Sheesh!

Rokcet Scientist

Post by Rokcet Scientist » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:56 am

circumspice wrote:
Rokcet Scientist wrote:
circumspice wrote:

Ahem... I was stating that my wording was awkward, not the article's wording. Sheesh!
So apparently both were, weren't they... 8)