Humans In Britain 800k YBP

The Old World is a reference to those parts of Earth known to Europeans before the voyages of Christopher Columbus; it includes Europe, Asia and Africa.

Moderators: Minimalist, MichelleH

Digit

Re: Humans In Britain 800k YBP

Post by Digit » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:21 pm

If there is (sea) ice, you can walk on it.

See pictures posted earlier. Fiennes found the going almost impossible, he also had to take all his supplies with him on the ice.
I know of no Auk, nor other species on the ice despite a lifetime of birding, Seals breed on sea ice, but only in spring.
If sea ice produces such wonderful opportunities I fail to understand why so few people exploited it.
I do think the SE Asian continental shelf was dry when HE/MP walked to Java (1,57 mio BP),
The experts and their maps disagree.

Roy.
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt

Rokcet Scientist

Post by Rokcet Scientist » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:03 pm

Digit wrote:
If there is (sea) ice, you can walk on it.

Fiennes found the going almost impossible, he also had to take all his supplies with him on the ice.
HE didn't need clean underwear.
I know of no Auk, nor other species on the ice despite a lifetime of birding
That's amazing, because I do: penguins! Millions of them!
Seals breed on sea ice, but only in spring.
...and rest on the ice edge all year long.
If sea ice produces such wonderful opportunities I fail to understand why so few people exploited it.
Because it's cold out there.
I do think the SE Asian continental shelf was dry when HE/MP walked to Java (1,57 mio BP),
The experts and their maps disagree.
An excellent reason to stick to my guns.

Digit

Post by Digit » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:57 pm

Yes it is, absolutely amazing as if you check I specifically mentioned earlier the North Atlantic, and penguins are about as rare there as ostriches!
An excellent reason to stick to my guns.
Not really seeing as you've posted their maps when it suits your arguments.

Roy.
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt

Rokcet Scientist

Post by Rokcet Scientist » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:04 pm

Digit wrote:
Yes it is, absolutely amazing as if you check I specifically mentioned earlier the North Atlantic, and penguins are about as rare there as ostriches!
Small wonder: they were hunted to extinction in the northern hemisphere by hominids because they were so easy to catch.

Cognito

Post by Cognito » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:23 pm

I do think the SE Asian continental shelf was dry when HE/MP walked to Java (1,57 mio BP)
Sunda is dry when world sea levels are lowered due to an ice age. Java, being to the west of Wallace's line, was accessable by foot. That is why discoveries east of Wallace's line are noteworthy (Phillipines 67kya, Hobbit and HE in Flores, etc.) since they needed to raft/boat to get there. See:
Source: Lifted from Dons Maps, as I recall

When the O-18/O-16 ratio drops below zero, ice is building up, sea levels are dropping, and hominids are walking. This situation has occurred with regularity on 100,000 year intervals since circa 2.5 million years ago when the Isthmus of Panama formed:
Source: Heslop et al (2001)
Natural selection favors the paranoid

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:25 pm

Nice map, Cogs.

Of course, all those people were killed when Toba blew up.

:wink:
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin

Rokcet Scientist

Post by Rokcet Scientist » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:54 pm

Cognito wrote:Image
So there were plenty of opportunities to walk, weren't there?

Rokcet Scientist

Post by Rokcet Scientist » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:55 pm

Minimalist wrote:Nice map, Cogs.

No they weren't: Toba was in the northern hemisphere, Java is in the southern hemisphere.

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:51 pm

Toba's on Sumatra. It's next to Java.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin

Cognito

Post by Cognito » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:45 pm

A shitload of hominids bit the dust after Toba, but there were survivors of at least four major species (HS, HN, HE and HF) and apparently Indonesia didn't fare that poorly - see: http://www.andaman.org/BOOK/originals/W ... r5.htm#5-4; however, it may have given HS the edge.

Yes, RS, people could still walk to Java, but who would want to do that?? :mrgreen:
Natural selection favors the paranoid

Digit

Post by Digit » Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:10 am

Small wonder: they were hunted to extinction in the northern hemisphere by hominids because they were so easy to catch.
The Ostriches as well I take it?

Roy.

Rokcet Scientist

Post by Rokcet Scientist » Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:28 am

Minimalist wrote:Toba's on Sumatra. It's next to Java.
"Next" is relative, Min: they are a thousand miles apart!
But much more importantly: those islands are on/in different hemispheres and that makes a world of difference (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buys_Ballot%27s_law).
Last edited by Rokcet Scientist on Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rokcet Scientist

Post by Rokcet Scientist » Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:29 am

Digit wrote:
The Ostriches as well I take it?
No, the ostriches kicked the bucket because they forgot to don their cleats and slipped on the ice... :lol:

Digit

Post by Digit » Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:38 am

And the Penguins froze to death 'cos someone tore the wrappings off!

http://www.google.co.uk/images?hl=&rlz= ... CCcQsAQwAA

Roy.

Rokcet Scientist

Post by Rokcet Scientist » Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:48 am

Digit wrote:And the Penguins froze to death 'cos someone tore the wrappings off!

http://www.google.co.uk/images?hl=&rlz= ... CCcQsAQwAA
Quite!
And that 'someone' who tore the wrappings off the penguins was HE (there was nobody else around, was there?).
Exactly like Leopard Seals literally tear the wrappings off penguins when they catch 'm, and really turn 'm inside out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6wYy-YBkE0 (a skinning process that may take a half hour; seen it happen).