[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Archaeologica.org • View topic - The accuracy of carbon-dating

The accuracy of carbon-dating

The Old World is a reference to those parts of Earth known to Europeans before the voyages of Christopher Columbus; it includes Europe, Asia and Africa.

Moderators: Minimalist, MichelleH

Re: The accuracy of carbon-dating

Postby kbs2244 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:16 pm

Back to the original question..................

C-14 dating has had it’s problems lately
Check my 2 posts at New World for an alternate creation of it.

Lighting making c 14
Note the last 3 paragraphs

https://www.nature.com/news/lightning-m ... es-1.23033

More on the above
Note the CYA in the last sentence!
Lightning can trigger nuclear reactions, creating rare atomic isotopes

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/11/ ... c-isotopes
kbs2244

Postby Skiessa » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:50 pm

[/quote]

"you out of hand reject" when have i done this? i asked questions, and presented the reason which makes me doubt the accuracy of the method - if that makes the carbon dating seem really inaccurate then it's flaw in the carbon dating, not in my tone. if such simple questions shouldn't be asked about the methods used then we cannot talk about science when we speak about archaeology.

"what it seems is that you want this info..." i'm attempting to form a more accurate picture about the methods of archaeology to understand better the arguments of which our history of civilization is built on - if one of the main methods used cannot be defended with logical arguments (no website that i've come across has been able to answer these very simple questions either), then i must assume that the scientific base of the archaeology is really much weaker than of what is usually thought.

"you are setting up a discussion where you will lay out the facts as you believe them & demand that the participants in the discussion supply the proof that you demand" i'd be waiting this kind of reaction if i'd march to church and start to ask for evidence for the biblical story. all i've done is that i've questioned the presumptions of the archaeology, presenting my thoughts of the flaws of the method - i've started the discussion only on the method in itself which gives anyone this forum the option just to present the arguments that counter my view - if such thing exists. what it seems to me is that certain things in the field of archaeology aren't supposed to be discussed, because it questions too much of the modern view without the possibility of being proven wrong. your attack on me only makes you sound that you lack the logical argument on the very scientific question with no obvious agenda implemented.

and even if i had an agenda, so what? the science should be built on experimentation and evidence, and therefore it should be able to defend itself from attack from fringe views and should feel no question unpleasant.

"a duplicate of the Great Pyramid COULD indeed be built today & in a similar time frame, if not an even shorter one" calculate the amount of minutes in 20 years and divide it with the amount of stones used - this gives us less than 5 minutes to work with with each stone, from quarry to the placement - less than 5 minutes if we work 24 hours in a day. we could not do this even with all the modern technology. if we assume the modern technology to be the best technology the man has ever invented and even with it we could not build the pyramids in the time given, then it's only logical to assume that the people who worked with a fraction of the technology we have now could not do it either.

" There are several unfinished pyramids to attest to that fact" the other pyramids are mudcakes compared to the khufu and kafre pyramids. even if the egyptians were able to build the mudcakes it doesn't suggest that they were able to build the pyramids we have named after khufu and kafre.

and finally, i really have no pet theory. i cannot imagine a civilization less advanced than us who could build the feats that we can not, with the perfection of detail and mathematics that wasn't even supposed to be present in the date. i rather admit that i don't know than go wild with the ancient aliens and travelers from the future theories.
Skiessa

Postby E.P. Grondine » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:32 am

E.P. Grondine

Postby Tiompan » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:38 am

[quote="E.P. Grondine"

As I mentioned to you earlier, archaeologists take great care in their dating, at least the ones working in Europe and the ancient near east do,
[/quote]
It's the labs who do the dating and calibrating , and statisticians who do the Bayesian stats , if they are being used .
Tiompan

Postby Skiessa » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:52 pm

Skiessa

Postby Minimalist » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:40 pm

If the data is "washed away" it cannot be "tested."

They can only test what is there.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Postby Tiompan » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:29 pm

Tiompan

Postby Minimalist » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:54 pm

That's why I am not following his question.

Is he referring to "associated material" next to a rock or something?
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Postby Skiessa » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:51 am

Skiessa

Postby Tiompan » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:47 am

"the material will scatter away by various factors in ratio to the amount of time" .
Degradation /loss of material is not necessarily a function of time it can happen over a period or suddenly .

"without an study on the amount of material lost"
As was mentioned previously there is a study of such losses it's called taphonomy coupled with taphonomic logic .
Tiompan

Postby Minimalist » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:43 am

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Postby Simon21 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:14 am

Simon21

Postby Skiessa » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:16 pm

Last edited by Skiessa on Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skiessa

Postby Skiessa » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:18 pm

Skiessa

Postby Tiompan » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:47 pm

Tiompan

PreviousNext

Return to Old World