Stonehenge

The Old World is a reference to those parts of Earth known to Europeans before the voyages of Christopher Columbus; it includes Europe, Asia and Africa.

Moderators: Minimalist, MichelleH

Ishtar

Post by Ishtar » Tue May 27, 2008 12:13 pm

Digit wrote: Of late the percieved wisdom has swung more to believing that the mid winter line is THE important one.
For purely structural reasons I personally believe the mid winter one was the important line.
As the winter solstice marks when the sun begins to turn north again, and the days start to get longer again, I guess this day would be far more important to those in northern climes than say, those south of the equator?

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist » Tue May 27, 2008 12:31 pm

When you hear learned academics proposing using rollers for transport of heavy loads on uneven ground you begin to have serious doubts about their other ideas.

Exactly what started me wondering about Giza, Dig...and I don't even have an engineering background. But I have had a supermarket cart wheel hit a raisin on the floor and stop dead!
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin

Digit

Post by Digit » Tue May 27, 2008 12:42 pm

Which like I said Min, leads you question some of these self proclaimed experts.

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist » Tue May 27, 2008 12:46 pm

Yeah....that and the fact that every time they have tried to do something with the assumed technology available to the AEs they have fallen flat on their faces.

You'd think that after a while they would be less certain, wouldn't you?
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin

Beagle

Post by Beagle » Tue May 27, 2008 12:48 pm

A little food for thought. KB posted this in another thread:

http://www.tenerifenews.com/cms/front_c ... idart=8078

Described as a cosmic clock (we will not all agree with that description), this symbol is found all over world, as KB rightly noted. All I can say in that regard is that this symbol at Chaco Canyon was proven to be a solar calendar to my satisfaction.

Now - with the discussion about SH geometry, am I seeing certain similarities between this symbol and SH?

Please don't throw rotten tomatoes. :P

Digit

Post by Digit » Tue May 27, 2008 1:02 pm

Good point Beag. Look up Glastonbury Tor. The path to the summit is man made and is a spiral.
Problem! The spiral represents the easiest incline, so is it symbolic or an engineering solution.

Beagle

Post by Beagle » Tue May 27, 2008 1:13 pm

In that instance I would think that the spiral was an engineering decision.
it is thought that the stone was instrumental in calculations to mark the equinoxes. The stone has symbols of the sun facing north-east scratched upon it.
SH entrance is to the north-east I believe. And I counted the spaces on one once and got 6 on each side of the center, but they're not all the same in that regard.

Digit

Post by Digit » Tue May 27, 2008 1:21 pm

Considering the size and shape of the stones any measurement is difficult Beag.

kbs2244

Post by kbs2244 » Tue May 27, 2008 2:55 pm

Let’s see....
Canary Islands, the last land before the Bahamas;
Chaco Canyon, near the headwaters of the Rio Grande.
And not a hard trip from the headwaters of the Red River, or even the Arkansas.
All of which have a bunch of spiral rock art around them.
That should get the Diffusionist juices flowing.

kbs2244

Post by kbs2244 » Tue May 27, 2008 3:56 pm

On a little closer reading of "Landscape Archaeologist” Anthony Johnson's discovery at Stonehenge I see it is based on repeatedly squaring the circle.
That rings a distant bell.
Where have I heard that phrase before?

Digit

Post by Digit » Tue May 27, 2008 4:01 pm

The endearing thing about SH KB, as with the Pyramids, is that it can be made to fit just about any wild idea, but once you strip away the fanciful, the magical and the plain impossible, we still don't know the answers!

Ishtar

Post by Ishtar » Tue May 27, 2008 10:26 pm

kbs2244 wrote:On a little closer reading of "Landscape Archaeologist” Anthony Johnson's discovery at Stonehenge I see it is based on repeatedly squaring the circle.
That rings a distant bell.
Where have I heard that phrase before?
Sounds Masonic, KB.

Digit

Post by Digit » Wed May 28, 2008 6:45 am

Sounds Masonic,
Or did you mean moronic Ish? :lol:

Ishtar

Post by Ishtar » Wed May 28, 2008 7:32 am

Digit wrote:
Sounds Masonic,
Or did you mean moronic Ish? :lol:
No, I think I'm wrong, Dig. It's 'on the square' with the Masons, whereas 'squaring the circle' seems to be impossible because it means mixing pi into an algebraic formula which, apparently, is a big no-no! :lol: Something like that anyway .... :lol:

Digit

Post by Digit » Wed May 28, 2008 8:00 am

About the only thing we can be sure of with SH is that it is there!
As I said earlier my first interest was how the work had been managed.
The lintels are all, more or less at a level, they are curved to match the radius of the circle, they are finished more finely on the inner faces than the outer and they are located on the uprights via mortise and tennon joints.
All this is well known.
Studying these facts from a construction viewpoint has lead me to certain conclusions, which as I have stated before may be entirely wrong!
But they are these.
To achieve a level for the lintels would suggest that the tenons were created once the uprights were in position.
The radius on the inside of the lintels is less than the radius on the outside which would suggest that the masons were working with either a ground plan or a set of templates.
The mortises were then logically cut to fit the pre-cut tenons as the easiest way of matching A to B
The fact that the inner faces of the lintels have been worked to a better finish raises the question of why?
Not why the inners are so worked but why were the outer faces left rougher?
The logical answer was that they couldn't be seen, if so then why radius them?
The answer that comes to mind is that all this effort was to fit a roof!
Churches are referred to as 'The house of God' and are inaffect a glorified house. The houses of the people who constructed SH are reported to have been circular with a turfed/thatched roof that would have bee conical in shape.
If the lintels had been straight across from upright to upright then the edge of any roof would have proceeded around the structure with an edge that wavered up and down, as the radius form the centre of the circle to the centre of a straight lintel is less than the radius from the centre of the circle to the ends of the lintels. Also a roof that tended to copy a round house would have concealed the outer faces of the lintels.
As to why roof the structure? Try visiting SH during the winter! Cold, wet, windy and bleak!