Let The Sex Wars Begin!

The science or study of primitive societies and the nature of man.

Moderators: Minimalist, MichelleH

Let The Sex Wars Begin!

Postby Minimalist » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:07 pm

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/science/biology_evolution/article6888874.ece

Modern humans and Neanderthals had sex across the species barrier, according to a leading geneticist who is overseeing a project to compare their genomes.

Professor Svante Paabo, director of genetics at the renowned Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology in Leipzig, will shortly publish his analysis of the entire Neanderthal genome, using DNA retrieved from fossils. He aims to compare it with the genomes of modern humans and chimpanzees to work out the ancestry of all three species.

Okay. This should get entertaining when the counterattack is launched.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Re: Let The Sex Wars Begin!

Postby kbs2244 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:03 pm

“It’s possible that Neanderthals and humans were genetically incompatible, so they could have interbred but their children would have been less fertile,” said Stringer.
This phenomenon is seen in many other species such as when lions breed with tigers and horses breed with zebras. “

It sounds like the historical horse/donkey/mule thing.
In theory mules could have offspring.
But it was so rare, that for practical purposes they were considered sterile.

I wonder what kind of probability ratio he comes up with.
I can’t help but think it would take a whole lot of sex to get a “cross breed” that could reproduce.
kbs2244

Postby Digit » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:59 am

There is of course an alternative view to cross breeding producing poor off spring, it's called 'hybrid vigour', so I find it rather odd that this alternative is not even mentioned.

Roy.
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
Digit

Postby Rokcet Scientist » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:44 pm

kbs2244 wrote:I can’t help but think it would take a whole lot of sex to get a “cross breed” that could reproduce.

That's like an absolute guarantee that a "cross breed that could reproduce" would arise, isn't it? 8)
Rokcet Scientist

Postby Digit » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:14 pm

:lol: :lol:
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
Digit

Postby Minimalist » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:06 pm

Yep. NO reason to think that Neanderthal "guys" were any different.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Postby Rokcet Scientist » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:08 am

...or HN ladies!

OTOH: who knows, maybe HN had morals and a societal structure like the Bonobos...

8)

In that case I would consider HN smarter than HSS.
Rokcet Scientist

Return to Anthropology and Primitive Societies