[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Archaeologica.org • View topic - Calico Site (California, +/- 200K Ago)

Calico Site (California, +/- 200K Ago)

The science or study of primitive societies and the nature of man.

Moderators: Minimalist, MichelleH

Calico Site (California, +/- 200K Ago)

Postby Ishtar » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:00 am

Ishtar of and the .
Ishtar

Re: Calico Site (California, +/- 200K Ago)

Postby Digit » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:15 am

First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
Digit

Postby Ishtar » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:37 am

Ishtar of and the .
Ishtar

Postby Minimalist » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:24 am

Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Postby Minimalist » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:24 am

Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Postby Ishtar » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:37 am

Ishtar of and the .
Ishtar

Postby Minimalist » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:50 am

Oh, there can be no doubt that a linear view of history was in fashion for a very long time, if that's what you mean.

Basically, it went that Modern Humans spread out of Africa conquered the whole world and replaced HSS and HE by 25,000 bc and then after such an amazing expansion...sat on their asses for the next 20,000 years until they discovered farming and then everything took off from there. Oddly, absurd as it was, it was better than what the bible-thumpers were putting forward!

It's been shot full of holes now, but I concur there are still some out there trying to do CPR on the mummy. I think we need a few more funerals, Ish.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Postby Ishtar » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:05 pm

Ishtar of and the .
Ishtar

Postby Minimalist » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:43 pm

Well, recent finds have pushed back the beginnings of agriculture and the understanding that the Sahara was a lush savannah until c 6,000 bc have certainly helped fill in some of the blank spots on the timeline. If Wendorf and Schild can be believed there was rudimentary agriculture in the Nile Valley c 13,000 BC. Of course, those two drive the Club up a wall.

The sad fact is that recovering organic artifacts from such remote periods is unlikely. We are left with stone tools as the main residue of such humans and there is only so much you can tell from a rock.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Postby Digit » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:08 pm

A number of things puzzle me about the intelligence debate, starting with the need for a satisfactory definition of intelligence, then a means of measuringing it.
Frankly we have no way of telling even how intelligent out great-great-great-great grandfathers were, never mind as far back as William the First!
Even if IQ has not increased since the year dot we cannot use that to say how intelligent even Erectus was.
I have no problem with scientific conjecture, if I had I wouldn't be sitting here now, but I do wish that pros would state these ideas as that, ideas!

Roy.
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
Digit

Postby Minimalist » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:00 pm

"Intelligence" is probably the wrong word....maybe that's why Ish seems to prefer "cognition." As I recall the scientific definition for that is something like "the mechanism of thought."

While that is basic what is more important it seems to me is the ability to communicate thoughts, language, which is the most vital factor in establishing a culture and getting things done. Would Bednarik's boats have gotten built unless they had the ability to communicate fairly advanced ideas?

You know, Dig, if any of us were given an "intelligence test" devised in the 4th century BC I wonder what class of moron we would end up assigned to? True, they wouldn't do too well on one of ours but that really isn't the point is it. Back then the answer to "how do you treat the flu" wasn't bed rest...it was "sacrifice a chicken to Aesclepius.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Postby Minimalist » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:17 pm

I'm going to ask Michelle to split this latest discussion to Anthro and Primitive Societies.

Gotten way too far off of Calico and tangible rocks.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Postby Ishtar » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:21 pm

Last edited by Ishtar on Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ishtar of and the .
Ishtar

Postby Digit » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:22 pm

Frankly the proliferation of meaningless PC words annoys me. Intelligence I understand, the rest need to come with a book of explanations.
As I have stated, probably too often, i was an engineer.
Years ago I had to prepare a paper for my institute on the subject of glass micro spheres as reinforcement in polymers.
To be of value I had th state the size of the spheres, their percentage by weight or volume of the polymer, the method of blending, how I prevented separation due to differing SGs, the conditions of processing, any post moulding ops, the end use of the product, the tests that were carried on that product and their results and the conditions under which the test were carried out.
I then had to specify the same all over again for the un reinforced controls!
That is science in action!
To claim that an individual or species is more or less intelligent needs the base line statement as reference or it is meaningless.
If I were to claim that I were more intelligent, or had greater cognition, than youself I would expect you to say 'prove it!'
That raises the question of 'how?'

Roy.
Digit

Postby Ishtar » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:30 pm

You're missing the point, Roy.

How can anyone disprove something that's never been proven?

It's like asking me to prove that there is no God.

I have shown very clearly where this kind of thinking comes from ... false axioms created by pseudo-Darwinism.

Just because you don't understand some of the words that are used doesn't mean that the words are meaningless.

There is absolutely no scientiific reason to believe that ancient man had fewer cognitive faculties than ourselves... and there never has been. That's the point I've been making.
Last edited by Ishtar on Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ishtar of and the .
Ishtar

Next

Return to Anthropology and Primitive Societies