[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Archaeologica.org • View topic - Calico Site (California, +/- 200K Ago)

Calico Site (California, +/- 200K Ago)

The science or study of primitive societies and the nature of man.

Moderators: Minimalist, MichelleH

Re: Calico Site (California, +/- 200K Ago)

Postby JSteen » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:28 am

Ishtar, I don't know if the fact that we are calling you on your fallacies is making you irritable or what but please don't condescend to me. I'm respectful, I think you should be the same.

I don't know what propositions you personally want to make, I don't know anything about you and I'm not talking about you. I'm talking about logic. A person who makes a proposition bears the burden of it - not the person who doesn't. A person who argues for the existence of a supernatural entity bears the burden of proof for it, not the person who doesn't. A person who argues any proposition of any sort, a scientific theory or anything else, is the one who must prove it. One doesn't set out to prove a negative, one has no need to - the onus is on the one who makes the positive statement.

How can you say that science hasn't explored religion? It's spent thousands of years doing it. Science was owned by religion until the enlightenment - and even then in large part until the 20th century. Angels dancing on the head of a pin.
JSteen

Postby Digit » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:55 am

First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
Digit

Postby uniface » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:28 pm

Nope.

The angels on the pin debate was a pretty sophisticated examination of extention vs. substance. Mechanics of reality stuff.
Last edited by uniface on Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
uniface

Postby Minimalist » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:28 pm

Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Postby Ishtar » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:43 am

Ishtar of and the .
Ishtar

Postby Ishtar » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:49 am

Last edited by Ishtar on Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ishtar of and the .
Ishtar

Postby Ishtar » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:54 am

Ishtar of and the .
Ishtar

Postby Ishtar » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:57 am

Ishtar of and the .
Ishtar

Postby Digit » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:58 am

First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt
Digit

Postby Minimalist » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:43 am

Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Postby Minimalist » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:44 am

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Postby Rokcet Scientist » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:22 pm

Rokcet Scientist

Postby Ishtar » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:16 am

Min

Shouting and swearing at fundies might go down well on an atheists' board, but it doesn't have any place on a science-related board.

You're coming across like John Cleese shouting at Manuel from Barcelona in Fawlty Towers ~ as if his yelling and arm waving will penetrate the language barrier. :D I thought we Brits were the only ones who did that. :)

Look up the word 'atheism'. It means a disbelief in God. Therefore, your so-called rational premise is starting from a matter of faith.

If you look up the word 'agnostic', here's what you'll find. "Gnostic' as you know, means 'knowledge' and the Greeks used this word for what eventually became the Latin 'science' (which at the time of the Greeks, had not yet become separated from philosophy.)

The "A" bit has been used since Vedic times to denote the negative.

So A-GNOSTIC means "I don't know" Surely this is a more neutral premise to be starting out from than one based on an already pre-formed belief about what you will find, which would surely prejudice any open minded scientific inquiry, as demonstrated by my earlier posts about Dawkins shutting down the debate?

And finally, I hate to see you making an idiot of yourself by openly persecuting, on this forum, such a great archaeologist as Virginia Steen-McIntyre for her religious beliefs.Whatever she said in that interview when she was taken off guard, Virginia does keep her work separate to her religion. It's only you that is conflating the two. And it only you that is conflating atheism with science. I'm not moving any goalposts. I'm just pointing out that the goalposts are of your own making.
Ishtar of and the .
Ishtar

Postby Minimalist » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:13 am

Ish, until you can present actual evidence for your spirits I simply can afford them no more credence than Arch's bits of lunacy.

In the meanwhile, when you try to put words in my mouth, expect to hear about it loud and clear. You've known me that long.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Postby uniface » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:59 am

Objection, Your Honor. The witness is hallucinating. Again.

There is no "evidence" for spirits/gods.

Neither is there any evidence disproving the existence of spirits/gods.

Evidence is a null issue.

Stating his personal belief, and alleging that since "proof" doesn't overturn it, it's "right" carries no more weight than does stating a personal belief in spirits and insisting that since there is no "proof" to overturn it, it's "right."

Both of these are examples of projecting the model of something in the head onto the world outside it and insisting that the two are the same.

They're not.

It's also a power-and-control ploy. E,g,:

First Believer : "God himself spoke to me last night in a dream."

Second Believer : "I did no such thing !"
uniface

PreviousNext

Return to Anthropology and Primitive Societies