Neandertal wrap up

The science or study of primitive societies and the nature of man.

Moderators: MichelleH, Minimalist

Rokcet Scientist

Neandertal wrap up

Post by Rokcet Scientist » Tue May 18, 2010 6:32 am

Our concept of Neandertals, and their relationship to Homo Sapiens, has changed considerably over the past 50 years. And now the Neandertal genome is unravelling. Here is the current state of affairs:

http://www.sciencemag.org/special/neand ... index.html

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Re: Neandertal wrap up

Post by Minimalist » Tue May 18, 2010 7:55 am

Nice find!
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin

kbs2244

Post by kbs2244 » Tue May 18, 2010 7:54 pm

From the map it looks like they never got north of Liverpool.
I guess I can say to you others “Who’s your Daddy”

Rokcet Scientist

Post by Rokcet Scientist » Sun May 30, 2010 8:57 pm

kbs2244 wrote:From the map it looks like they never got north of Liverpool.
Why would they want to? North of Liverpool they've got their own yobs, don't they?

Digit

Post by Digit » Mon May 31, 2010 3:15 am

Oooh! You believe in living dangerously don't you RS? :lol:

Roy.
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt

circumspice

Post by circumspice » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:56 pm

:?

This study was done with genetic material of only 3 individuals, from the same cave system, from a relatively short time span.
I know that isolating ancient DNA is notoriously difficult... but I'd like to see a study that encompasses other regions and
different time periods. IMO 38-44kya is too short and too recent of a time span for a truly representitive sample of a species.
"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope

Digit

Post by Digit » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:23 am

First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:26 am

Thus it is — revealing the identity of my example — that we must reclassify Homo neanderthalensis as Homo sapiens neanderthalensis, a subspecies of Homo sapiens.

Okay. Everyone practice writing HSN instead of HN! There will be a quiz.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin

Digit

Post by Digit » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:15 am

As usual Min it's taken the experts a lot longer than the rest of us to put the evidence together and reach a logical outcome hasn't it?

Roy.

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:16 pm

Well...in fairness they want to see the evidence before putting their reputations on the line. I mean, we are free to speculate with no repercussions.

Of course, any moment now the rejoinder will come flying in....

NO THEY'RE NOT!!!!!!

-- George Carlin

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:39 pm

More on the subject.

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/ ... 092110.php

Neanderthals more advanced than previously thought
They innovated, adapted like modern humans

Denver (September 21, 2010) – For decades scientists believed Neanderthals developed `modern' tools and ornaments solely through contact with Homo sapiens, but new research from the University of Colorado Denver now shows these sturdy ancients could adapt, innovate and evolve technology on their own.

The findings by anthropologist Julien Riel-Salvatore challenge a half-century of conventional wisdom maintaining that Neanderthals were thick-skulled, primitive `cavemen' overrun and outcompeted by more advanced modern humans arriving in Europe from Africa.

"Basically, I am rehabilitating Neanderthals," said Riel-Salvatore, assistant professor of anthropology at UC Denver. "They were far more resourceful than we have given them credit for."

-- George Carlin

Digit

Post by Digit » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:13 am

I may yet live to see them recognised as 'human' I think. People seem to forget that they were the most successful of our lineage.

Roy.

Rokcet Scientist

Post by Rokcet Scientist » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:22 am

Digit wrote:I may yet live to see them recognised as 'human' I think. People seem to forget that they were the most successful of our lineage.
How do you reckon that, Roy?
I'd say HE was the most successful to date because they existed for about 2 million years, whereas HSS is 'only' 196,000 years old and HN maybe existed for about a half million years, tops.

Minimalist
Forum Moderator

Post by Minimalist » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:17 am

There were significant changes from early HE to late HE over the course of that very long time. HE did most of the heavy lifting in an evolutionary sense. Perhaps that alone qualifies them for the title of Champ?

How much evolving have HNS and HSS shown from early to late? Maybe the time will come when HSS is regarded as the natural outflow of HE with HNS being merely a group of the same which was isolated by climate and distance from the main highway of development?

-- George Carlin

Digit

Post by Digit » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:38 am

Only if we agree on the meaning of 'human' gentlemen.

Roy.