Deleted

Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: Minimalist, MichelleH

Postby Digit » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:05 am

What is the intellectual benefit of a pin up picture or a heated argument to my 10yr old grandson when he uses my computer RS or looks over my shoulder when I'm using it?
Digit

Postby Rokcet Scientist » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:34 am

Digit wrote:What is the intellectual benefit of a pin up picture or a heated argument to my 10yr old grandson when he uses my computer RS or looks over my shoulder when I'm using it?

At least as much intellectual benefit as when he would see a boxer bitch: he'd be looking at the real world!

How can you reasonably expect other forum members to take into account who you might be showing what's on your PC?
For all we know you might be showing it to your 90 year old mother with a heart condition! Should she have a seizure and die, would that then be my responsibility?

No, sir, that would be entirely your responsibility!
Rokcet Scientist

Postby Digit » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:55 am

You appear to missed have the point or chosen to ignore it RS, I simply used my grandson as an example. Yes I do think that people, including myself, should take into account who might use this forum.
Just as the press chooses not to use the word 'Nigger', Yid, Spik or Paki to avoid offence so with a little thought, can we.
We have already lost a valuable contributer on this issue, and you may argue that he is unduly sensative. So what? The situation was unnecessay and avoidable.
Sometime ago Marduk chose to call me a rascist, I have probably had more friends from abroad they he, and I was offended.
It contributed nothing to intellectual debate! Neither does losing posters.
As I have suggested before, courtesy costs nothing!
Digit

Postby Rokcet Scientist » Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:20 am

Digit wrote:
As I have suggested before, courtesy costs nothing!

I disagree:
courtesy twists the truth. Just like 'political correctness' does.

Now, courtesy can temporarily serve a positive purpose in a superficial, passing relationship. But courtesy is counter-productive in intellectual pursuits.

Galileo Galileï comes to mind.
Rokcet Scientist

Postby Digit » Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:26 am

courtesy twists the truth.
:?: :?: :?:

And discouresty improves or supports it?
You can tell a person that they are wrong with saying, 'you're bloody idiot' can't you?
Digit

Postby Rokcet Scientist » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:04 am

Digit wrote:
courtesy twists the truth.
:?: :?: :?:

And discouresty improves or supports it?

No. Both discourtesy and courtesy twist the truth.
Both are also perceptions in the mind. Two perceptions: of both the 'sender' as well as the 'receiver'. Obviously, if you have 2 perceptions, chances are they'll differ. Also, the 'sender' has no control on how the 'receiver' interprets the message. Influence perhaps, but not control!

If I say "I like your style", you could interpret that as me appreciating your argumentation (content). But if I actually intended it as a comment on your writing style – and not as a reflection on your train of thought – that would clearly be something entirely different from what you perceived. We would have miscommunication caused by different perceptions as a result of me being courteous.

I posit miscommunication is worse than perceived discourtesy.

Feeling offended is a favorite pastime of many. They wallow in that feeling. When they link up and achieve critical mass the result is mass hysteria. Book burnings. Lynchings. Whatnot.
Fundamentalists of all orthodox creeds come to mind. It's scary.
Please, don't fall into that trap.

You can tell a person that they are wrong with saying, 'you're bloody idiot' can't you?

Sure, but I like to avoid throwing boomerangs... 8)
Rokcet Scientist

Postby Digit » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:20 am

[quote]Both discourtesy and courtesy twist the truth.[quote]

That would seem to suggest that you make no distinction between, 'I'm sorry, but you're wrong', and 'you're a bloody fool!'
If that is the case I fear you will go through life offending people because as you said, it's people's perceptions, and many would perceive the second alternative as offensive.
Digit

Postby Rokcet Scientist » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:25 am

Yes, I realize that.
It's the price of integrity.
I'm prepared to pay.

So, anyway, who do you think is going to win the finals?
Rokcet Scientist

Postby Digit » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:31 am

The first past the post!
I once had a a boss who described me to future employer as having the greatest integrity of anyone he had met, and that without offending people.
I once took charge of a dept in a factory and explained to the staff that if were unable to give an honest answer then I would not answer the question. Nobody ever questioned my integrity.
Digit

Postby Rokcet Scientist » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:54 am

Digit wrote:I once took charge of a dept in a factory and explained to the staff that if were unable to give an honest answer then I would not answer the question. Nobody ever questioned my integrity.

I'd say that reflects more on your people skills than on your integrity... That's where you and I differ. I have very little people skills. I do pride myself on some integrity, though. I see it as a trade off. Shit happens. And I can either deal with it, or spend my life bending over backwards to please others by corrupting my own, real opinions. And so in effect spend my life being a fake...

Guess which I choose.
Last edited by Rokcet Scientist on Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rokcet Scientist

Postby Digit » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:58 am

You have said it all!
Digit

Postby Rokcet Scientist » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:24 am

Well, it looks like Charlie is not coming back, does it now?
I was already afraid of that.

So if we want to keep abreast of events leading up to that upcoming National Geographic edition on the peopling of the Americas I guess we'll have to delve into anarchæology . . . 8)
Rokcet Scientist

Previous

Return to Archived Discussion Forum