[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Archaeologica.org • View topic - The ups and downs of Archaeology

The ups and downs of Archaeology

Random older topics of discussion

Moderators: Minimalist, MichelleH

The ups and downs of Archaeology

Postby Mike Jupp » Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:49 am

Does anyone recognise where this was?
No?...
What about this?
Yep!...Now you got it!!..Well, if you haven't?..It's this!....
The reason why I've been fiddling with my Googles..is that I've always wondered why Neolithic Tribes wandered up from the Mediterranean area, clawed their way up through the mountains and forests of Europe, then battled even further through fog, rain and Troll droppings until they eventually reached 'Britain' and finally, the Arctic North Atlantic.?
Did some hairy git returning from his rowing holiday in a hollowed out tree-trunk say, "I've found a place called 'Skare Brae'..it would make a great Neolithic settlement" ?
No?...Then how and why did they get to such far flung places!
I'm a cartoonist not a Scientist!...But can anyone tell me why my next theory is wrong?
I reckon our ancestors just followed the coastline in search of food!
It's that coastline that would have been radically different 10-12,000 years ago. I've done a VERY rough image of a possible prehistoric coastline. The interesting thing is that Neolithic settlements in both the Orkneys and Western Ireland are close to this 'Shoreline'!
The Red cross on the map below indicates Skara Brae http://www.scotshistoryonline.co.uk/scara1.html
, I'm right??? Shouldn't we be looking along this '
line' for more settlements?
("Stick to cartoons"...I hear you cry!!)
RETRIBUTION!!!!!
http://www.webnet2000.com/mikejupp/viewtopic.php?t=54
Si vis pacem...Parabellum!
Mike Jupp

Re: The ups and downs of Archaeology

Postby War Arrow » Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:53 am

War Arrow

Postby Mike Jupp » Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:29 am

Hi War Arrow!
I think a combination of starvation and a multitude of beastly things with big teeth probably influenced our ancestors to get the *%!"##!! out of Africa!
As for Skara Brae et al!...It WAS considerably warmer when the place was established.
And, a useless bit of information..
Skara Brae had the first flushing toilet system yet discovered!
(That's if you discount Neanderthals sticking their hairy backsides out over waterfalls?) All far earlier than Henry VIII's celebrated khazi at Hampton Court(?)

If you don't believe me check it out!
In fact, there's a remarkable similarity to the Skara Brae dwellings and the Hobbit homes of JRR Tolkein's tales.

Never mind all that!...What about the 'Rio Romans'?
RETRIBUTION!!!!!
Mike Jupp

Postby War Arrow » Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:57 am

War Arrow

Postby Mike Jupp » Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:46 am

Yep flushing!
..and it wasn't an Outhouse...It was an IN-house toilet!

OK, so it wasn't automatic with Pine Looflush tablets and chrome bog-roll holders! ... but they were 'flushed' from the interior by chucking water into stone conduits that lead out to the beach from the poo-ing place!
Not bad for something that was built 4.5-5000 years ago!

(Our khazi fell to bits recently, and that was only 3 years old!)

http://www.orkneyjar.com/history/skarabrae/skarab1.htm
RETRIBUTION!!!!!
Mike Jupp

Postby Beagle » Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:32 am

Beagle

Postby Minimalist » Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:42 am

Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Postby Beagle » Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:45 am

Beagle

Postby Minimalist » Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:49 am

Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Postby Beagle » Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:55 am

Beagle

Postby Minimalist » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:47 am

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Postby Mike Jupp » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:59 am

RETRIBUTION!!!!!
Mike Jupp

Postby War Arrow » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:48 pm

War Arrow

Postby Minimalist » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:49 pm

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Channel

Postby Cognito » Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:05 pm

Natural selection favors the paranoid
Cognito

Next

Return to Archived Discussion Forum