Use of Micah in SA temples

The Western Hemisphere. General term for the Americas following their discovery by Europeans, thus setting them in contradistinction to the Old World of Africa, Europe, and Asia.

Moderators: Minimalist, MichelleH

popelane24
Posts: 50
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:52 pm

Use of Micah in SA temples

Post by popelane24 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:08 am

Hey guys, was watching Ancient aliens on History (Far out stuff!).... I figure to make it to the history channel you have to have some good points. (I figure they do!) anyways this post has nothing to do with aliens. But there were a few temples of the Inca (I beleive) whoo used micah to line the insides of their pyramids. What are the current thoughts and research on this? Anyone know, or like to contribute a thought on these threads?

Minimalist
Forum Moderator
Posts: 15712
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:09 pm
Location: Arizona

Re: Use of Micah in SA temples

Post by Minimalist » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:58 am

I figure to make it to the history channel you have to have some good points.

That may have been true when it first started. That whole channel seems to have jumped the shark.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin

Tiompan
Posts: 1140
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 5:13 am

Re: Use of Micah in SA temples

Post by Tiompan » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:19 pm

popelane24 wrote:Hey guys, was watching Ancient aliens on History (Far out stuff!).... I figure to make it to the history channel you have to have some good points. (I figure they do!) anyways this post has nothing to do with aliens. But there were a few temples of the Inca (I beleive) whoo used micah to line the insides of their pyramids. What are the current thoughts and research on this? Anyone know, or like to contribute a thought on these threads?
Teotihuacan had a some micah supposedly from Brazil but it is difficult get a provenance for this particualrly as it was also supposedly sold around the time of the early 20 c excavations , considering it is available locally I'm not convinced about the putative source .One of the smaller temples still has some small quantities of micah .

George

popelane24
Posts: 50
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:52 pm

Re: Use of Micah in SA temples

Post by popelane24 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:47 pm

Yes, it was Thehotihuacan. When you say smaller quantities, how much are you talking about? Why would they be using this when the only obvious practical reason (to our minds at least) was for electricity or an electric barrier?

popelane24
Posts: 50
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:52 pm

Re: Use of Micah in SA temples

Post by popelane24 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:48 pm

Also, which of the smaller temples is it? Where can I got o fund out?

User avatar
Digit
Posts: 6618
Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:22 pm
Location: Wales, UK

Re: Use of Micah in SA temples

Post by Digit » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:23 pm

PM War Arrow.

Roy.
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt

E.P. Grondine

Re: Use of Micah in SA temples

Post by E.P. Grondine » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:52 pm

popelane24 wrote:Yes, it was Thehotihuacan. When you say smaller quantities, how much are you talking about? Why would they be using this when the only obvious practical reason (to our minds at least) was for electricity or an electric barrier?
Try the obvious before jumping to extremes.
Mica was used because it reflected light, and its pretty.

Another use in the early twentieth century was in lamps.

popelane24
Posts: 50
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:52 pm

Re: Use of Micah in SA temples

Post by popelane24 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:18 am

Thanks E.P. - they neglect to mention that on History Channel.... LOL

Tiompan
Posts: 1140
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 5:13 am

Re: Use of Micah in SA temples

Post by Tiompan » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:02 am

popelane24 wrote:Also, which of the smaller temples is it? Where can I got o fund out?
I think it is from a temple (not pyramid )of the Moon .
http://www.flickr.com/photos/baggis/3427580731/

George

Minimalist
Forum Moderator
Posts: 15712
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:09 pm
Location: Arizona

Re: Use of Micah in SA temples

Post by Minimalist » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:01 am

popelane24 wrote:Thanks E.P. - they neglect to mention that on History Channel.... LOL

Those Ancient Alien crackpots usually "forget" to mention lots of stuff.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin

popelane24
Posts: 50
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:52 pm

Re: Use of Micah in SA temples

Post by popelane24 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:00 pm

Im willing to jump on a bandwagon - beriefly. But I jump off when common sense tells me to. Ive seen 4 or 5 episodes of that show and the IDEAS are GOOD - just not necessarily accurate. LOL.

Minimalist
Forum Moderator
Posts: 15712
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:09 pm
Location: Arizona

Re: Use of Micah in SA temples

Post by Minimalist » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:05 pm

The whole idea is based on an Argument from Incredulity.

"I don't see how this could be" therefore (aliens) (god) (leprechauns) (bigfoot) etc., etc., etc.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin

User avatar
Digit
Posts: 6618
Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:22 pm
Location: Wales, UK

Re: Use of Micah in SA temples

Post by Digit » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:08 pm

"I don't see how this could be" therefore (aliens) (god) (leprechauns) (bigfoot) etc., etc., etc.
Which as I suggested kick started religion.

Roy.
First people deny a thing, then they belittle it, then they say it was known all along! Von Humboldt

Minimalist
Forum Moderator
Posts: 15712
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:09 pm
Location: Arizona

Re: Use of Micah in SA temples

Post by Minimalist » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:05 pm

Religion started when one guy said to another guy:

"Psst, hey buddy. Listen. God told me to tell you that he wants you to do things his way. I will explain to you what "his way" is.

And, god also said that he wants you to give me some money so I can tell others."

Some things never change, Dig.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin

User avatar
circumspice
Posts: 970
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:10 pm

Re: Use of Micah in SA temples

Post by circumspice » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:41 pm

E.P. Grondine wrote:
popelane24 wrote:Yes, it was Thehotihuacan. When you say smaller quantities, how much are you talking about? Why would they be using this when the only obvious practical reason (to our minds at least) was for electricity or an electric barrier?
Try the obvious before jumping to extremes.
Mica was used because it reflected light, and its pretty.

Another use in the early twentieth century was in lamps.
You beat me to it EP... :lol:

I have an old hemispherical lamp shade that is made entirely from thin squares, triangles & rectangles of mica, held together with lead channels like Tiffany lamp shades.
It is entirely natural, hasn't been dyed or painted and it is very pretty if you keep it clean and dust free.
"Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer." ~ Alexander Pope

Post Reply