Viking Bronze Casting on Baffin Island

The Western Hemisphere. General term for the Americas following their discovery by Europeans, thus setting them in contradistinction to the Old World of Africa, Europe, and Asia.

Moderators: Minimalist, MichelleH

Re: Viking Bronze Casting on Baffin Island

Postby Cognito » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:10 pm

And, even if it was, why bronze smelting?

Copper and bronze nails, rivets and fasteners were used in the clinker construction of Norse boats.

If I was headed on a long sea voyage at that time, I would take along a crucible just to recycle broken nails, etc. I would also bring along copper or bronze ingots since a source at the destination would be uncertain.
Natural selection favors the paranoid
Cognito

Postby Cognito » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:50 pm

Min wrote: I wonder what the fuel source would have been for a smelting industry?
Doesn't look like a lot of trees grow there even today.

Apparently Ungava Bay, just south of Baffin Island, had sufficient timber for smelting and to build boats during Medieval times:

"In the sheltered southwest corner of Canada's Ungava Bay, within the Markland region and only a few hundred miles from the Norse Greenland settlements, the forest of black spruce and larch reaches practically down to the shore. High-grade bog iron and the Labrador iron trough also runs down to the shore, close to or on the surface, and could have been easily smelted with charcoal made from green (freshly cut) wood, as the Norse method required. Another advantage, from the Greenland Norse point of view, would have been the absence of Indians and Eskimos in this area at the time; the Norse would have had less resistance from the Dorset Eskimo people who were living here between 1000 and 1300 (Lee 1968; Plumet 1985, 1994).

Going to Ungava Bay in the late summer, they would have had a fairly ample working season. Even today, when the climate is evidently much as it was before the Little Ice Age, the bay does not freeze over until November, and Hudson Strait is usually ice-free from the end of July until October."

Fitzhugh, William W., and Elisabeth I. Ward. Vikings: The North Atlantic Saga. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, in Association with the National Museum of Natural History, 2000. Page 274. Print.

Natural selection favors the paranoid
Cognito

Postby kbs2244 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:31 am

Nails!
Good thought.
Recycle small stuff in a small pot.
Not smelting, just melting.
kbs2244

Previous

Return to New World