[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Archaeologica.org • View topic - Problematic Discoveries

Problematic Discoveries

The Western Hemisphere. General term for the Americas following their discovery by Europeans, thus setting them in contradistinction to the Old World of Africa, Europe, and Asia.

Moderators: Minimalist, MichelleH

Re: Problematic Discoveries

Postby Springhead » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:19 pm

Hello Circumspice,

Eye problem followed by UFO sighting? Inability to comprehend English? Ocular morse code? Neural failure? Looking for a date? Help, I have jaundice? My opinions rule? Go to hell?

Thanks for your "comment."
Springhead

Postby Springhead » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:00 am

[urlhttps://tepetelegrams.wordpress.com/2018/03/15/behind-the-mask-early-neolithic-miniature-masks-and-one-larger-than-life-example-from-gobekli-tepe-and-beyond/][/url]

Hello,

The site shown above is an official site concerning ongoing work at GT. I find the content both poignant and "ironic," as a colleague stated. Here is a web site about arguably the most important archaeological site in the world which is concerned with masks, etc that fit the description of the oft maligned figure stone. The images on the site show representational and stylistic techniques well familiar to those arguing for the credence of found rock art despite the objections of orthodoxy in reasoning that pareidolia, delusion, and ambition plague the heretics who would suggest such nonsense. Powers that be note that these subject stones are, in fact, geofacts. How these pieces were sculpted in baas relief, intaglio, ground, polished, chipped, carved, and painted with ochre, etc is apparently easily explained by the skeptics as a fall from a cliff, freeze/thaw, or a roll down a stream or river bed. Geomorphologists retired these explanations as incorrect a while back with laboratory and field work.

These artifacts on the GT site and their serious study should release those concerned with "forbidden" rock art from ridicule and debasement at the hands of academia. Of course this would require orthodoxy to seriously consider the worldwide presence of figure stones, their past creators, and motif/technique similarities across many oceans.
Springhead

Postby circumspice » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:34 pm

circumspice

Postby Springhead » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:35 pm

Hello Circumspice,

Anyone looking for an archaeological find would be ecstatic to have it come from secure stratigraphy, but most lack that particular context. Are these finds without stratigraphic context to be ignored? If funding limitations are a reality, should one be digging without the means to properly test or hire a qualified professional? The point being made is that the similarity of finds to the well studied GT rocks should allow the layman to continue his or her work without ridicule from the armchair. People don't spend their time looking for rock artifacts to become societal heroes.

Does an object with "zero context" exist? When, where, how, and a partial what are context, just not your specialized idea of such. Further context may be seen in finds/square foot, associations with natural features, rock types and availability, and the like.

"Lauded and hailed:" This is not the Roman Empire, and one who makes assumptions may be uncovering their own projections and transferrances. "Paranoid" seems a bit harsh for an archaeological forum where rocks are spoken of. "Reality" is elusive and use of the word in this case smacks of an arrogant stance.

One works with available resources when time allows. This thread is not a doctoral dissertation. Perspective through interaction might describe a desirable forum process.

Once again, because of the similarity observed between artifacts of provenance and unintended (initially) rock finds, should this similarity not be investigated? Will the "benefit of the doubt" be awarded to the archaeologist with 40 years experience and over forty books and hundreds of scholarly papers on stone tools and material culture who identified provable Pleistocene artifacts on the subject site?

"Belief" is not the mission; this is no religion. Possibilities are a goal for now, sans insults.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Springhead

Postby shawomet » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:48 pm

shawomet

Postby circumspice » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:40 am

circumspice

Postby Springhead » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:25 pm

[urlhttps://www.rockartmuseum.com/][/url]

Hello Shawomet,

Thank you for your response. I do not feel I have been mistreated by you despite your resolute stance of skepticism concerning claims and speculations I have made in this thread. I have absolutely no problem with your opinions and I respect your 60 year involvement in archaeology and knowledge gained over time.

I would like to prevail upon you another time if you can stand it. I made the mistake early on in the thread not choosing words, images, and speculations in a more logical sequence. I do have some images in a gallery at the above address, twenty seven or so, that I would ask you to look at. Some have been posted on this thread, but the majority will be new to you. Unfortunately there is no text with the images, but I think you will be interested. There is one image of three stones utilized in a fire pit where the left stone in particular is relatable to images on the GT site. After going to the site, click on galleries, then members submissions, then gallery eight, fourth down.

If you do not see anything of interest, I apologize for taking your time. The images show finds from the mountain site in Virginia and the coastal inlet site in NC. Unfortunately the locations of finds are not noted with the images.

Thanks

Hello Circumspice,

Thanks for your comments. I am not seeking blanket approval or acceptance with members of this forum nor am I involved in some far fetched fantasy of my own making, though the nature of the finds requires me to report what seems like a fantasy to some remaining forum members. Some of my speculations are unable to be proved now or probably the near future. My persistence in trying to evaluate various components of these sites speaks from my intuition, common sense, and logic. I have no credentials other than a BA in Art History, so to any academic I have little if any credibility. However, in the "real" world of curiosity, practicality, extensive travel, and artistic endeavor, I have been able to get along quite well with a broad cross section of people. This boils down to: I trust my intuitions, and here on this thread, however poorly expressed, I have dropped my guard in hopes of feedback. I was not disappointed other than some of the needless personal comments trying to characterize me as some kook.

I hope you will look at the site at the above address. Instructions are in my answer to Shawomet. No, I have not come upon a

three D laser and camera setup, so coffee table images are not the order of the day. I do think you may see something of interest in these images. If so, great, if not, sorry to take your time.

I have put myself in your place as best I could without knowing anyone. I can see that my speculations are not digestable to the forum members. If you put yourself in my place, would you, with strong intuitions about some assemblage, allow yourself to be muzzled by criticism if the arguments being made against your ideas did not satisfy your intellect or personal experience with the site and what it may be yielding?

Thanks again.
Springhead

Postby circumspice » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:31 am

circumspice

Postby circumspice » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:35 am

circumspice

Postby Minimalist » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:54 pm

I've never been one to see shapes in rocks. Maybe if it said "Kilroy was here" I'd get it.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Postby shawomet » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:43 pm

shawomet

Postby Simon21 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:54 am

Simon21

Postby Springhead » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:46 pm

Hello Cicumspice, Shawomet, Minimalist, and Simon21,

I appreciate your taking the time to review the subject images posted on the Portable Rock Art Museum site. I am certainly not surprised at the unanimous reaction to those images. Granted, some of the images are not crisp, but many are in proper focus. A number of the pieces shown on the rock art site have been judged to be "provable Pleistocene" by Jack Hranicky after he personally reviewed them. As an upstart, I would not expect many folks to buy my line, but Jack is another story. His vast experience in tools and material culture in the mid Atlantic and his prolific writings and papers should lend some real credence to the subject pieces, especially those he labeled "provable."

I do not know all you fine folks' credentials, but I do listen to and consider the comments made on this thread in reply to my postings and take them seriously if for no other reason than giving you the benefit of the doubt. Only one forum member supported some of my views, but he was drummed out despite his many interesting threads and comments. Now the ranks have tightened and I see that there is a fairly orderly united front for coordinated control. There seems to be a comfort zone that folks seek within their own realms and amongst themselves. This thread does not support that comfort and therefore cannot be tolerated. I am grateful for those who continued commenting though, thank you.

I will not attempt now to comment on the images in detail. Though I respect your hard earned expertise, I would say that you are wrong. Many of my speculations are controversial, and of course no one has to believe anything. I will continue to work with this assemblage that appears in many Virginia sites. I will also continue to post if I think I can shed any new light on these finds. I do not want (as with you all) to rehash everything.

So, this delusional pareidoliac with ambition exceeding all bounds who stands on his head at twilight and dusk to "see" strange stuff that doesn't exist on rocks but satisfies his need to be a hero will continue, despite the call to desist, to use logic and common sense to move forward in understanding this clearly unappreciated work of ancient people.

Thank You Again
Springhead

Postby circumspice » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:23 pm

circumspice

Postby shawomet » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:26 pm

shawomet

PreviousNext

Return to New World