[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Archaeologica.org • View topic - cutting stone

cutting stone

The Old World is a reference to those parts of Earth known to Europeans before the voyages of Christopher Columbus; it includes Europe, Asia and Africa.

Moderators: Minimalist, MichelleH

cutting stone

Postby kbs2244 » Sat May 05, 2018 5:10 pm

From the news pages...

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/how ... ge-mystery

How a backyard pendulum saw sliced into a Bronze Age mystery. Researcher’s swinging blade offers glimpse into how ancient Mycenaeans built palaces

A technique I had never heard of.
I immediately thought
Why just the Mycenaean civilization.
Maybe Egypt, Europe, Britain, Maya, Japan?

Anywhere large stones were cut.
kbs2244

Re: cutting stone

Postby circumspice » Sun May 06, 2018 1:21 pm

circumspice

Postby kbs2244 » Sun May 06, 2018 3:04 pm

Maybe they just were not looking.

It seems the process leaves tell tale marks.

But the overlooking of in plain sight stuff is all to common.
kbs2244

Postby Minimalist » Mon May 07, 2018 9:20 am

I've seen videos demonstrating the use of bronze saws and drills in Egypt. It is not the bronze that does the cutting but rather sand dropped into the hole. The bronze merely acted as the driving force to make the sand cut the stone and they were doing it on granite, not limestone. I can't remember if they dealt with the issue of heat buildup caused by friction or not. But metal expands and softens when heated which would seem to be a drawback to either method.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Postby circumspice » Mon May 07, 2018 10:18 am

circumspice

Postby Minimalist » Mon May 07, 2018 1:46 pm

Sand + water = mud.

I'll have to look around for the video.
Something is wrong here. War, disease, death, destruction, hunger, filth, poverty, torture, crime, corruption, and the Ice Capades. Something is definitely wrong. This is not good work. If this is the best God can do, I am not impressed.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Postby kbs2244 » Mon May 07, 2018 2:28 pm

Have you never been to a beach?
Sand is too corse to make mud.
You need something finer, like clay or bottom land dirt.
A big river delta are mud flats, not beaches, because of the fine sediments washed down.
kbs2244

Postby Minimalist » Mon May 07, 2018 4:57 pm

Have you ever walked along a beach? Where the waves lap up the beach feels completely different from the sandy parts.

Anyway, here's one of the videos.

This uses a copper tube which is even softer than bronze.

https://youtu.be/i92ORg0ItVk

I've seen another one for a two-man saw where they didn't use water either. As I recall the speculation was that it would take like forever to cut through a block but they would get there. How useful that would be for an actual building project is another question entirely.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Postby circumspice » Mon May 07, 2018 9:09 pm

circumspice

Postby Minimalist » Tue May 08, 2018 7:06 pm

The key issue is this, though:

" How useful that would be for an actual building project is another question entirely."

Seriously, you can drip water on a mountain and eventually wear it down. That is not going to do much to keep a building schedule. I have to say I was not impressed with the rate of progress on cutting through the blocks especially when you have to cut through at least 4 sides and at least smooth the other two.

Just once I would like to see someone cut a block out of a quarry and produce a finished product instead of a brief video that says "yeah, we can cut it." I think you'd have to time it with a calendar rather than a stop watch.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Postby Cognito » Wed May 09, 2018 10:03 am

Natural selection favors the paranoid
Cognito

Postby circumspice » Wed May 09, 2018 6:23 pm

circumspice

Postby Minimalist » Wed May 09, 2018 6:57 pm

And yet, in the main, the artifacts we have regarding ancient Egyptian tools are copper chisels.

As noted in this 2005 work:

https://books.google.com/books?id=AWSGA ... ed&f=false

I can't copy and paste from Google Books so you have to read it yourself.

-- George Carlin
Minimalist

Postby kbs2244 » Thu May 10, 2018 3:30 pm

Can we get beyond Egypt?
They were not alone.
kbs2244

Postby Simon21 » Thu May 10, 2018 4:50 pm

I am not sure how much you can build on examinng the cuts themselves. What one person might see as precision another might see as less so.
Simon21

Next

Return to Old World